August 2019 3 on 3 – Individual and Team League
3 on 3 returns in August of 2019!!! The league will have two options: 1) BLACK LEAGUE – Individual registration for 6th-12th grades (girls only) and 2) GOLD LEAGUE – Team registration for 6th-12th grades (girls only).
Please use the 2019-20 School Year Grade.
BLACK LEAGUE – The individual registration works as it has in the past. The first twenty-four (24) to register will be placed on a team. Each team will have four players and there will be six teams. A waiting list will start once we hit twenty-four players. The players will then be split up into teams. Cost is $25.00 for Stealers For Life Members and $35.00 for Non-Stealers For Life Members. T-Shirts will be provided for the participants.
Rosters and rules:
Yellow – Elliott Jessup, Avery Ray, Marlena Hall, Taylor Shen
Red – Elaine Smith, Caroline Lennon, Lauren Shen, Sasha Burey
Blue – Isabella Albany, Emma Pendleton, Emily Smith, Madeline Levy-Wolfe, Alex Shen
Games will run from 6:00-7:30. Playing dates will be (all at the Gateway YWCA):
- August 7 – Practice Session
- August 12 6:00 Red 16 vs. Yellow 12, 6:20 Red 18 vs. Blue 15, 6:40 Blue 14 vs. Yellow 12
- August 14 6:00 Blue 12 vs. Red 13, 6:20 Yellow 18 vs. Blue 11, 6:40 Red 13 vs. Yellow 18
- August 19 6:00 Yellow 16 vs. Blue 13, 6:20 Red 10 vs. Yellow, 16 6:40 Red 13 vs. Blue 10
- August 21 6:00 Red 6 vs. Yellow 13, Red 18 vs. Blue 9, 6:40 Blue 13 vs. Yellow 5
- August 26 6:00 Blue vs. Red, 6:20 Yellow vs. Blue, 6:40 Red vs. Yellow
- August 28 Tournament – 6:00 #2 ______________ vs. #3 _______________, 6:20 #1 _____________ vs. Winner of #2 / #3 Game __________________
- Red 5-3
- Yellow 5-3
- Blue 2-6
- Games are 14 minutes long, running clock.
- One 30 second timeout per game with an additional timeout for overtime.
- Timeouts can only be called on a dead ball.
- Games are scored as follows: a normal two point basket in regulation five-on-five basketball is counted as one point in 3 on 3; a normal three point basket in regulation five-on-five basketball is counted as two points in 3 on 3.
- The first team to score 35 points is the winner.
- If neither team scores 35 points when regulation time is over, the winner is determined by which team has the most points.
- There will be a 12 second shot clock if the ball is being held too long by one team (this will be discussed after the first set of games are played if necessary).
- Individual fouls will not be recorded, however team fouls will. On the seventh team foul the opponent shoot two free throws. On the tenth team foul the opponent will shoot two free throws and get the ball.
- All dead balls have a re-start with a “check” at the top of the key to start play.
- Overtime winner is for the first team to score two points.
- Game starts with a jump shot to see who gets possession. If the jump shot is made, the team is the winner and now has the option of taking the ball first in regulation or taking the ball first in overtime.
- Any jump balls during the game, the defense is awarded the ball.
- After a basket is scored, the team getting the next possession has to clear the ball past the three point line before they can shoot. The ball can be dribbled or passed out beyond the three point line. This means that as the ball goes through the basket, the ball IS NOT to be taken out of bounds, but instead gathered by the team that was on defense and then dribbles or passes it beyond the three point line. The ball can be stolen as it is being dribbled or passed by the now offensive team.
Want some 3 on 3 strategy? Watch the 2019 USA Basketball National Championships here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdGsK3lcLac (Boys game is around the 14:45 mark and the girls game is around the 37:00 mark.)