3 on 3 returns in August of 2018. The league opened up in 2013 and ran until 2016.
The league is open to girls in grades 7th-12th. Each team will play two games / evening. Teams will be made up of four players each.
Registration is limited to current Winston-Salem Stealers participants and there will be a limit of twenty-four players.
The cost of the league is $20.00. The league will not interfere with normal travel team practices. Teams will be split up according to positions played, grade level in school and skill set. The ideal team makeup is to have one point guard, one shooting guard, one post player and one combo/wing player.
Rules will be posted periodically and updated here leading up to the season:
- Games are ten minutes long, stopped clock.
- One 30 second timeout per game with an additional timeout for overtime.
- Timeouts can only be called on a dead ball.
- Games are scored as follows: a normal two point basket in regulation five-on-five basketball is counted as one point in 3 on 3; a normal three point basket in regulation five-on-five basketball is counted as two points in 3 on 3.
- The first team to score 21 points is the winner.
- If neither team scores 21 points when regulation time is over, the winner is determined by which team has the most points.
- There will be a 12 second shot clock.
- Individual fouls will not be recorded, however team fouls will. On the seventh team foul the opponent shoot two free throws. On the tenth team foul the opponent will shoot two free throws and get the ball.
- All dead balls have a re-start with a “check” at the top of the key to start play.
- Overtime winner is for the first team to score two points.
- Game starts with a coin flip to see who gets possession. The coin flip winner has the option of taking the ball first in regulation or taking the ball first in overtime.
- Any jump balls during the game, the defense is awarded the ball.
- After a basket is scored, the team getting the next possession has to clear the ball past the three point line before they can shoot. The ball can be dribbled or passed out beyond the three point line.
The dates and times in August will be as follows:
- Wednesday, August 1st: 6:00 3 on 3 introduction day – Rules, teams, scrimmage play.
- Monday, August 6th: 5:30, 5:45, 6:00
- Wednesday, August 8th: 5:30, 5:45, 6:00
- Monday, August 13th: 5:30, 5:45, 6:00
- Monday, August 20th: 5:30, 5:45, 6:00
- Monday, August 27th: 5:30, 5:45, 6:00
The eventual goal of the league is to introduce / re-introduce the 3 on 3 concept to our players. This league will lead up to a national qualifier where we will send a team to Colorado Springs, Colorado in the spring of 2019 to play for the national championship. The national championship winner will get to play overseas, representing USA Basketball for the world championships.
Registrations (using 2018-19 School Grade) – 6 more spots will be made available (allows for 8 teams of 4 players).
- Elaine Smith (10th)
- Madison Spruill (8th)
- Grace Harriman (8th)
- Destiny Thompson (7th)
- Emily Smith (7th)
- Navaeh Fears (7th)
- Georgina Hall (8th)
- Hannah Parker (9th)
- Elle Lyons (10th)
- Isabella Albany (7th)
- Kennedy Long (11th)
- Murphy Andrews (10th)
- Avery Ray (7th)
- Emily Kusnic (8th)
- Marissa Vernon (7th)
- Isabella Pardino (12th)
- Sofia Pardino (8th)
- Marlena Hall (7th)
- Natalie Axtell (9th)
- Sasha Burey (7th)
- Tatum Tesh (7th)
- Lettie Michael (8th)
- Rebekah Minton (8th)
- Alex Shen (8th)
- Yasmine Paige (8th)
- Isabella Ross (7th)